How Fincar 5 mg Works
It is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor that contains the ingredient Finasteride in it. It blocks the action of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase, thereby promoting hair regrowth. The action of 5-alpha reductase helps convert the male sex hormone testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is known to bind with the receptors of the hair follicles, causing them to lose their strength and shrink. As a result, the natural growth cycle of the hair is disturbed which results in hair loss. Furthermore, the size of the prostate also increases. Fincar 5 mg stops the action of 5-alpha reductase and decreases the amount of DHT in the body. It also helps to prevent the conversion of testosterone into DHT. This leads to an increased hair regrowth and a decreased prostate size.
Uses of Fincar 5 mg
It is prescribed for the treatment of the following diseases:
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) – an age-associated prostate gland enlargement condition that is non cancerous and results in urination difficulty.
- Androgenetic Alopecia – a condition that causes hair loss in men which ultimately leads to baldness.
Dosage of Fincar tablet
It is recommended to be taken once daily. This medicine can be taken with or without food.
- For patients suffering from Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), the effects can be experienced in 6 months.
- For patients suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia, the effects can be experienced within the first 3-4 months. However, the full effects of this medication can take anywhere around 6-9 months to appear.
The effects may vary depending upon factors such as age, metabolism, health conditions, etc.
Missed Dosage: If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it’s time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose. Do not take an overdose to make up for the missed dose. Make sure that you follow a daily dosage as hair loss occurs again when you stop taking the medication.
Overdose: An overdose of the drug should be avoided at all costs. An overdose can deteriorate your health and lead to serious side-effects. If problems persist for long, contact your doctor immediately.
Before you take Fincar 5 mg, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Dutasteride or any other medications.
- If you have prostate cancer.
- If you have stricture of the urethra.
- If you have a bladder muscle disorder.
- If you have urination problems.
- If you have kidney or liver disease or abnormal liver enzyme tests.
Side Effects of Fincar 5 mg
Common side-effects include:
- Runny nose
- Loss of sexual desire
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Breast tenderness
- Swelling in hands or feet
- Pain in testicles
- Rapid weight gain
- Abdominal pain
If you experience any side-effects for long, contact your doctor immediately.
Certain drugs are known to interact with Fincar 5 mg and affect the way it works. If you take any herbal, OTC, recreational, or any other drugs to treat your health condition or for any other purposes, let your doctor know about them.
- Blood thinners such as warfarin
- Beta-blockers such as atenolol and propranolol
- Antipyrine (phenazone)
- Calcium channel blockers such as diltiazem
- Oral antifungals such as itraconazole and ketoconazole
- Medicines for respiratory diseases such as theophylline
- St. John’s Wort
- Cardiac glycosides such as digoxin
- HIV Protease inhibitors such as nelfinavir
Interaction with alcohol
Interaction with alcohol has not been studied. However, patients have reported a decrease in their alcohol consumption after taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about potential interactions.
Fincar 5 mg tablets should be stored properly and safely in their original packaging.
- Keep the medicines out of reach of children.
- Keep the pills away from direct heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- Once the pack is opened, store the pills in an airtight container.
- Do not consume the pills past their expiration date.