|Mifepristone & Misoprostol
How It Works
MTP Kit works by blocking the effects of Progesterone causing the placenta to separate from the endometrium. It softens the cervix and increases uterine contractions for the uterine contents to pass easily. The uterine contents are usually blood clots that are passed through the vagina when the bleeding starts.
For a woman who’s 7 weeks pregnant, the receptacle looks like a thin grain of rice. For a woman who’s 9 weeks pregnant, the receptacle looks like a kidney bean. You should get an ultrasound done after two weeks to check whether the abortion has been completed or not.
MTP Kit is used for the following purposes:
- Abortion – MTP Kit is used for the termination of pregnancy (not more than 9 weeks) in women.
MTP Kit consists of 1 tablet of Mifepristone and 4 tablets of Misoprostol. Mifepristone is intended to be taken orally with water. The 4 tablets of Misoprostol should then be taken within the next 72 hours. Your doctor will tell you when you should take it.
Misoprostol can either be taken buccally or vaginally. For buccal administration, you need to place the 4 tablets in your cheek pouch.Do not swallow them straightaway. Place 2 pills of Misoprostol on one side of the mouth and the other 2 pills on the other side of the mouth (behind your teeth, in your cheek pouch). Wait for the contents to dissolve. After 25-30 minutes, swallow what is left of the pills. Bleeding usually starts within the first 4 hours. Keep a few sanitary pads handy as the bleeding will be heavier than normal.
For vaginal administration, you should lie down and place the 4 tablets inside your vagina. If the pills fall out before the bleeding starts, insert them again. If the pills fall out after the bleeding starts, do not worry as most of the medication would have been dissolved by now.
Visit your doctor after two weeks to confirm whether abortion has occurred or not. To avoid severe cramping and abdominal pain, your doctor might recommend you to take a tablet of Ibuprofen 1 hour prior to the consumption of Misoprostol.
Missed Dosage: This medicine is taken as prescribed by the doctor. Therefore, the chances of missing a dose are not possible.
Overdose: This medicine is usually taken in the presence of a doctor. However, if the doctor advises you to take the tablets at home and an overdose is suspected, contact your doctor immediately.
Before you take MTP Kit, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Mifepristone or any other medications.
- If you have a bleeding disorder.
- If you have a kidney or liver disease.
- If you suffer from diabetes, hypertension, etc.
- If you have uncontrolled blood pressure.
- If you have a history of heart attack, stroke, etc.
- If you have severe anemia.
- If you have any inherited skin disease.
Common side-effects of MTP Kit include:
- Chills or hot flushes
- Pelvic pain
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
In case you soak two sanitary pads or more within two hours or experience any side-effects for long, contact your doctor immediately.
Certain drugs are known to interact with MTP Kit and affect the way it works. If you take any herbal, OTC, recreational, or any other drugs, let your doctor know about them.
- Antibiotics such as erythromycin
- Antifungals such as ketoconazole
- Corticosteroids such as dexamethasone
- HIV Protease inhibitors such as indinavir and ritonavir
Interaction with alcohol
Alcohol can increase the risk of experiencing side-effects. Avoid consuming alcohol with this medicine.
MTP Kit should be stored properly and safely in its original packaging.
- Keep the medicine away from direct heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- Keep the medicine out of reach of children.
- Once the pack is opened, store the remaining pills in an airtight container.
- Do not consume the medicine past its expiration date.